Foundation Scholarships: FAQ


National Native American Bar Association (NNABA) Foundation Scholarships
Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to apply for a NNABA Foundation Scholarship?
Applicant must be

  • Native American, Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian;
  • An active member of NNABA, a regional American Indian Bar Association, or NALSA;
  • Be a current third-year law student attending an ABA-accredited law school in the United States, or graduated from an ABA-accredited law school within the last two years; and
  • Be registered to take a state bar examination in July 2020 or February 2021.

If I’m thinking about law school but haven’t applied or enrolled, can I still apply for a scholarship?
No, you must currently be enrolled in law school, or have recently graduated to be eligible for a scholarship.

What are the scholarship criteria?
The Selection Committee will consider academic performance, honors and awards, community service and leadership, and financial need.

What do I need to submit?
In addition to your application, please submit an official copy of your most recent law school transcript, a 300-word personal statement, and your current resume. Further details are available on this page.

What if I exceed the word limit for the personal statement?
We believe writing concisely is a skill. Please do not allow your personal statement to exceed 300 words.

Where should I send my application materials and letters of recommendation?
Submit your application materials electronically to Materials that are not submitted electronically will not be accepted.

Can I submit my application electronically?
Yes, see above.

When is the deadline to apply?
The deadline to apply for the 2020 Scholarship is February 28, 2020.

If I took the July bar exam but did not pass, am I eligible to apply for the Bar Review scholarship again?
Yes. So long as you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for the Bar Review scholarship even if you have previously taken the exam.

I have a question that is not answered on this page.
You may email your question to